Job Title: Visitor Services Manager
Reports to: Director of Finance and Operations
Full Time / Part Time: Full Time
Work Schedule: Five-day work week including one weekend day each week
Date: January 2023
The Visitor Services Manager sets a vision for service for the Concord Museum and provides an essential role in managing the Museum’s admission desk, gallery security, building rentals, Museum Shop retail operations, and the management of part-time museum gallery and front desk staff. This individual works to recruit, train, manage, and evaluate all of the front desk Visitor Services Associates and Gallery Interpreters. The Visitor Services Manager oversees visitor experience in the Museum ensuring that the Museum provides a warm and welcoming environment and delivers the highest level of customer service throughout the visit. This position works closely with other departments to create clear communication between each department and the front desk staff. Close collaborations will include weekly check-in meetings with the Education Department on gallery learning and gallery tour training and the Advancement Department around special events and public programming. This position directly reports to the Director of Finance and Operations and works a five-day work week including one weekend day each week.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES
- Oversee all aspects of Visitor Services, including the Admission Desk, Gallery Interpretation, retail operations, and part-time staff.
- Supervise the full-time Coordinator of Visitor Services in partnership with the Director of Education who oversees Gallery Learning initiatives.
- Manage the monthly schedule of part-time Visitor Services Associates and Interpreters including daily schedules for breaks and assignments.
- Recruit, hire, and train new Visitor Services Associates and Gallery Interpreters.
- Train staff in customer services to ensure a positive museum experience while facilitating safe and engaging interactions with the Museum’s galleries, exhibits, and staff as well as Security and Emergency Preparedness protocols.
- Hold a morning meeting to be sure staff knows about tours/programs and to address concerns
Front Desk Duties and Security Duties:
- Support front desk staff by filling in gaps at the front desk to cover lunches, breaks, and to help on busy days including weekends or holidays.
- Work with the Director of Finance and Operations to oversee cash-handling procedures and maintain accurate counts and financial records.
- Manage ticketing system and Point-of-Sale software and makes recommendation to senior management concerning upgrades and improvements.
- Serve as point of contact to report any emergencies and concerns to the Director of Finance and Operations, Curator, Executive Director, Collections Manager or other senior staff assigned as “Administrator on Duty.”
- Ensure proper opening and closing procedures and Museum security.
- Remain informed and up to date on exhibits on view, enhance visitor experience through interpretation and engaging inquiry-based conversation.
- Assist in maintaining inventory of brochures, literature, and gallery resources for the public.
- Work with the Director of Finance and Operations to prepare and manage the operational and personnel budgets for the Visitor Services department.
- Track admission revenue and analyze trends and key performance indicators.
- Supervise point of sale and online transaction and register closeouts.
Museum Shop Duties:
- Maintain positive relationship with representatives of the Concord Bookshop and makes recommendations to senior management regarding store operations.
- Research new Museum Store merchandise throughout the year that corresponds with upcoming exhibitions, holidays, and the collection in general.
- Oversee creative displays of Museum-owned merchandise.
- Work with the Director of Finance and Operations to prepare and manage the Museum Shop budget and back-office reporting.
Museum Rentals and Special Event Duties:
- Manages all aspects of facility rentals onsite from booking clients, coordinating with vendors, ensuring all parties have the proper permitting, receiving equipment rentals, and staffing the site appropriately.
- Ensure gallery interpretive staff is scheduled, prepped, and trained for special events at the museum such as exhibition openings, programs, and fundraising events.
- Two years or more customer service experience required, preferably in cultural organizations.
- One to two years management experience required, preferably in a museum or cultural institution.
- Experience with retail or hospitality a plus.
- Solid interpersonal, problem solving, and communication skills.
- Ability to identify, react to, and resolve visitor-related issues in the moment; strong decision-making skills required.
- Calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, percentages, and ability to build a budget.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
Work for this position is performed in a museum setting and involves working with the public and all that entails. Work involves extended periods of standing and/or walking. Staff in this position use and/or operate a hand-held radio for communication. Must be able to work a weekly set schedule with the expectation of working some evenings, weekends, and holidays. Must adhere to dress code and other Museum policies.
Education and/or Experience
Minimum of Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from four-year college or technical school, and two years of customer service experience; or one-year related experience and/or training.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The salary range for this position is $45,000 to $50,000
The Visitor Services Manager will be eligible for 10 days of paid vacation annually in addition to the approved federal/museum holidays and any other vacation time granted by the Executive Director
The Visitor Services Manager is eligible for the Museum’s full array of benefits as outlined in the staff handbook.