The Concord Museum presents centuries of objects from Concord and surrounding areas for everyone to experience and explore. These objects let us bring to life the stories of the diverse people who lived in Concord since its earliest days. Every day, Concord’s cultural, political, environmental, and literary history come alive in our collections, exhibitions, and programs. As historians, we know that history is never stagnant. We continually discover new things about our past, inspiring people to make connections between the past, present, and future.
Object-Based Learning Experiences.
We use objects and technology to educate people about Concord’s past.
Storytelling From Multiple Perspectives.
We strive to understand the lives of individuals, families and communities throughout Concord’s diverse history.
Connections Between Past, Present & Future.
We seek to make Concord’s history relevant across time and geographies.
Concord’s Multi-Faceted History.
We collect, study and preserve objects to expand our understanding of all aspects of Concord’s history: cultural, political, environmental, and literary.
Welcoming. We’re open, accessible, inclusive and engaging
Inspirational. We seek to spark curiosity and to foster the exchange of ideas.
Excellence. Our experiences are designed to empower people to learn from the past to shape the future.
Integrity. We hold ourselves to the highest ethical standards in our research, engagements, and partnerships with our communities.
The Concord Museum has been continuously accredited by the American Alliance of Museums since 1973.
Cummings Davis (1816–1896), the Museum’s founding collector, moved to Concord, Massachusetts in July of 1850, a few months after the celebration of the seventy-fifth anniversary of the Battle of Lexington and Concord. After moving to Concord, Davis opened a refreshment saloon, first at the train depot and later in the center of town, selling pastries and newspapers.
Concord already had a history of celebrating the past. The visit of the Marquis de Lafayette in 1824, the fiftieth anniversary of the North Bridge Fight, and the 1836 bicentennial of the town’s founding were all made occasions to reflect on the town’s past, which was further monumentalized by the 1835 publication of Lemuel Shattuck’s History of the Town of Concord. Davis lost no time initiating his own monument to Concord, a collection of mostly colonial artifacts with local histories. By 1860, he had enough of a collection to display to interested visitors.
Davis’s collection began to attract more attention; there were articles on him in the Boston newspapers, and his Revolutionary War relics were displayed in the dinner tent, which sat four thousand people, during the 1875 Centennial celebration in Concord. Davis’s collection was perceived by his neighbors as an appropriate repository for relics. He displayed his collection in rented “antiquarian rooms” in the old courthouse in the center of town, owned at the time by the Middlesex Insurance Company. Within a few years of the Centennial, Davis, not yet sixty-five, began to find it increasingly difficult to care for himself and his relics.
A group of thirty Concordians headed by John Shepard Keyes (1821-1910) offered to pay to rent a larger room at the courthouse, at a cost of about $150 a year, “for the purpose of securing a better place for the arrangement and exhibition of the valuable collection of Mr. C.E. Davis.” That effort culminated in 1886 with the transfer of the collection, numbering about two thousand objects, to the newly formed Concord Antiquarian Society.
The Society bought the house that had belonged to saddler Reuben Brown to display the collection and to house the collector. The initial arrangement of the collection was made by George Tolman (1836-1909), Secretary of the Society and one of the charter members, and by Cummings Davis.
Architect Harry Little designed the new Concord Antiquarian Society at the intersection of Lexington Road and Cambridge Turnpike. The brick facade folded into the environs of the historic neighborhood, while inside, the rooms were designed to display and house the Society’s collections.
The Museum rededicated itself to educating a growing public about Concord’s history and to be a Museum for all. The Museum appointed its first professional director and initiated a modest series of school and public programs.
In 1981, a new education and administrative building, the Davis building, was added. Conscious of its growing public commitment, the Museum adopted the name Concord Museum in 1984.
The Museum constructed a major new addition, designed by Graham Gund, with three changing exhibition galleries, a theater, and upgraded visitor amenities, fully accessible to all audiences.
Concord Museum completed the final phase of the New Museum Experience, a $16 million renovation project which included 16 redesigned and interactive galleries, state-of-the-art collection storage facilities, and the Rasmussen Education Center. The epicenter of that redesign is the April 19, 1775 galleries that brings visitors into the beginning of the American Revolution in a way that has never been done before.
Lisa Krassner, Edward W. Kane Executive Director Email | x220
Visitor Services & Group Tours
Ryan Ullrich, Visitor Services Manager Email | x211
Meghan Batstone, Membership Associate Email | x239
James Jenkins, Director of Advancement Email | x210
Amara Shroba, Advancement Coordinator | x216
Jessica Desany Ganong, Collections Manager & Registrar Email | x231
Education & School Programs
Susan Foster Jones, Director of Education Email | x236
Jenny Gratz, Assistant Director of Education Email | x217
Savannah Kruguer, Visitor Learning Coordinator Email | x243
Mary-Wren vanderWilden, School Programs Coordinator Email
Public Programs and Engagement
Allison Shilling, Deputy Director & Director of Engagement Email | x238
Marketing, Communications, & PR
Katy Morris, Director of Marketing, Communications, & PR Email | x238
General Phone Number: 978.369.9763
· Main Line: x222
· School Programs: x217
· Group Tours: x211
· Advancement & Membership: x216
Board of Governors
James R. Burke, President
Dennis Burns, Vice-President
Anna Winter Rasmussen, Vice-President
William Becklean, Treasurer
Maryrose Sykes, Secretary
Nancy J. Barnard
Karen Croff Bates
Pat Sinton (Guild of Volunteers President)
Holly Salemy, President
Lisa Krassner, Edward W. Kane Executive Director, Concord Museum
Board of Trustees
Ryan Hanley, Chair
Paul D. Bosco
Richard D. Briggs, Jr.
Pamela S. Callahan
Stephen W. Carr
Robert Collings Jr.
Mary Ann Ferrell
Churchill G. Franklin
Robert A. Gross, Ph.D.
Jean Haley Hogan
Nicole Picard Kelly
Jonathan M. Keyes
Judy Blaikie Lane
Robert L. Reynolds
Gilbert M. Roddy, Jr.
Patti A. Satterthwaite
Edward G. Tiedemann, Jr.
Margaret W. Ziering
Charles A. Ziering
Edward W. Kane
Martha J. Wallace
Margaret R. Burke, Executive Director Emerita
Guild of Volunteers Board
Pat Sinton, President
Carolyn Myers, Treasurer
Anette Lewis, Secretary
The Concord Antiquarian Society, doing business as the Concord Museum, is a registered not-for-profit organization in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. It is supported by endowments, gifts from individuals, foundations and corporations as well as state and federal grants. The museum also receives revenue from admissions, memberships, educational programs, space rentals for events, and merchandise sales.
- 2021 IRS Form 990
- 2021 and 2020 Audited Financial Statement
- 2020 IRS Form 990
- Concord Museum FY2022 Annual Report
- Concord Museum FY2021 Annual Report
- Concord Museum FY2020 Annual Report
The notion of “oppression” – and efforts to counter it – are woven throughout the history of the land now known as Concord. The first Puritans who colonized these lands did so, in part, to escape the religious persecution they faced in England. They, in turn, through the introduction of new cultural, legal, and religious norms, oppressed the Indigenous communities who had lived in this area once called Musketaquid. A century and a half after colonization, the “shot heard round the world” was fired to oppose the oppression the heirs to Concord’s first colonial settlers experienced at the hands of King George and his Parliament. Fought as a war for liberty, the revolution secured rights solely for white male property owners – the rights of women, non-landowners, people of color, and especially those who were enslaved during the revolution were not included in our nation’s founding documents. While slavery was abolished in this Commonwealth in 1783, the debate concerning the abolition of slavery throughout the rest of the country would become one of the dominant issues that defined life in Concord in the 19th century and beyond. And woven together with that struggle was the suffragists’ effort to secure the right to vote as a first step in ensuring equal rights for women. In more contemporary times, Concord continues to confront the oppression of marginalized groups in our midst and in our world. Our exhibitions and programming endeavor to unite us in terms of our shared history that can then inform debates over how we best “build a more perfect union.”
The Concord Museum is committed to preserving the artifacts that recount all sides of this complex narrative and, in our exhibitions and programming, to sharing an inclusive story about our past and ongoing efforts to counter oppression. Those values are reflected in our commitment to building and sustaining a diverse and welcoming community, including addressing barriers to full inclusion of historically underrepresented groups. In that spirit, we are committed to recruiting and hiring a more diverse staff and diversifying the membership of our board and volunteer leadership. Recognizing that multiple voices and perspectives enrich our work, we embrace a broad definition of diversity and are dedicated to ensuring an environment where differences are valued and respected and where all members of our community are full and engaged participants in our mission. We commit to offering educational programs that shine a light on once-hidden histories and that serve a wide range of students, adults, and families, including those from ethnically and socioeconomically diverse communities. Our nation’s founding ideals of “liberty and justice for all” are represented eloquently by chapters in Concord’s history, but that history also includes moments when these ideals went unachieved. As a community, we remain steadfast in our embrace of these ideals, which remain at the very core of the Museum’s mission.
This statement (and accompanying history and action plan) was adopted by the Concord Museum Board of Governors on December 8, 2021 and updated by the Board on June 15, 2022. The Board recognizes that this is just a first step but one that formally underscores our commitment to diversity, equity, access, and inclusion as a central part of our mission into the future.
To learn more about the history and action plan click here. And please note, The Museum chose the words “diversity, equity, access, and inclusion” purposely as they are in keeping with the standards and protocols established by the American Alliance of Museums, our accrediting body.